Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Coming home

The airport logistics were unnecessarily complicated because Spesh needed to pick up someone the same day he was dropping me off. In the end, it didn't matter--he got me there when I needed to get there and ushered me through the security line. He's been told that a single woman traveling alone is "suspect" and his presence makes of less interest to them. Given Spesh's (radical) politics, it's somewhat hard to believe, but he's not on "their" list (yet), so maybe it's true.

When we arrived at the airport, we found the right line to stand in and Spesh answered all initial questions in Hebrew. I smiled a lot and flashed my passport a few times. Finally, the time came for my individual interview.

Those of you who haven't traveled overseas should know that this situation is a little different than in the US. Here, there are only those two questions--which they don't even always ask out loud anymore--did you pack your bags yourself? Have they been in your control until now?--and then the x-ray and magnetic thing you walk through.

In Israel, and Europe, they have those things too. But in Israel, and some parts of Europe, they also will come into the line, before you actually check in, before you go through the x-ray machine and ask you a whole bunch of peculiar personal questions. My interview went something like this:

Cute security guy: What was the reason for your visit?
J: I came for my nephew's wedding, and [indicating Spesh] to see my friend.
CSG: When did you arrive?
J: On the 12th.
CSG: The 12th [examining my passport] it says here you arrived on the 17th.
J: Oh, right. Right. I was here for twelve days. Right 12 days. I got here on the 17th.
CSG: Yes, that makes sense. So, do you speak Hebrew?
J: No.
CSG: Did you ever study Hebrew?
J: Yes, in religious school.
CSG: Sunday school?
J: Yes. Sunday school.
CSG: I'm sorry to ask, but are you a member of a congregation now?
J: No.
CSG: Do you celebrate any Jewish holidays?
J: Yes, um, Passover, Chanukah...[I completely forgot to mention the HIGH HOLIDAYS]
CSG: Ok, thank you. Have a good flight.

That's what I can remember anyway. Spesh stood next to me the entire time, waited while they put my bag through the bomb-sniffing machine and while I officially checked in. When it was time to pass to the passengers only area, we said goodbye. Big hug.

Then I was on my own.

ben gurion airport

I hung out in the lounge. I'd saved a few shekels so I could buy a coffee. I came home with some change in my pocket, but only a few bucks total.

The flight home was fine, though I was stuck in middle seats the entire way. What can you do?

Altogether, it was a good trip. I learned a lot.

1 Comments:

Blogger LaMa said...

You were lucky. I was interrogated for over half an hour by a security officer at Ben Gurion in 2000, and not quite friendly at that. Even though I am a citizen of a (European) country that has very good relationships with Israel.

6:14 AM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home