Friday, March 24, 2006

Shabbos

Friday. What happened on Friday? Dad and Susan went out, without me. I took it easy, then went for coffee. I believe I fiddled with my photos and wrote a little.

When I got back home, Dad and Susan where there. Dad said, "Would you mind going over to B2's now and help them set up for the dinner?"

I was in a good mood, so I took this well, "No, I don't mind. When should I head over?"

"As soon as you're ready. You'll need to pack your things for the night. We'll take a taxi and meet you there later. They need the car to help move things."

What was going on? Well, as I've mentioned, each night this week, there has been a special dinner in honor of the new couple. On Friday night, Shabbos (Sabbath) night, the family is giving a dinner for 50 or so of their closest friends. The family of the bride will attend as well. My sister-in-law and her daughters are doing most of the cooking. Some friends will provide a few of the side dishes.

I asked, "Will they feed me lunch?"

Dad said, "I'm sure they'll be noshing." Being around our Israeli family causes us to start speaking Yiddish.

I gathered my things, went out to pick up the wedding (and other) photos I'd had printed, and drove out to the homestead. I didn't even get lost on the way there.

Once there, it wasn't clear exactly what they needed me for. The girls were helping do the final Shabbos cleaning before evening fell. Tikvah (my sister-in-law) was slaving away over a hot stove. The oven had two enormous pots on it--one full of soup, the other full of "cholentz." When Tikvah caught sight of me she said, "You got here just in time!"
cooking
Well, not really. I stood around and watch them clean the house for a while. Part of this involved mopping the floor--which was accomplished a bit differently than in the States. Oshra, niece#3, dumped a bucket of soapy water on the floor and started scrubbing with a mop. It wasn't exactly a mop, though. mopping inside
It was long-handled wide squeegee with a rag wrapped around the end. Oshra scrubbed and Adina (niece#2) used another "mop" to swoosh the water around the house and, eventually, out the front door. Standing on the sidewalk in front of the house, I asked Adina, "What do the upstairs neighbors do?"
stone floor
"I don't know." But she did know. "They probably use the drain, you know, in the bathroom."

Houses in Israel often have a drain in the bathroom towards which all errant water may be directed.

Earlier we discussed how I clean my floors in DC since they are wood. You can't have standing water on wood. Oshra was a little shocked that I don't mop the floors in the entire house. She was somewhat assured when I pointed out that only one person lives in my house, as opposed to the seven in hers, so the floors don't get as dirty. I neglected to mention the cat.

After mopping was over, we loaded up Tikvah's car and my (rental) car and drove about a block to the hall. It wasn't really a hall, rather a Yeshiva (religious high school) and there were a couple of flights of outdoor steps to take before we got to the front door. We hauled food, soda, plastic plates, utensils, paper napkins, and much, much more down those steps.
stuff
Yehuda was there to help us--so it was Tikvah, Adina, Yehuda and I doing most of the hauling. When we got everything down there, Yehuda took his mom's car and left. The three of us remaining got to work arranging the study tables and benches in one of the rooms in a configuration suitable for eating. Tikvah set up a makeshift kitchen in another room.
unloading
It was hard work and I knew my shoulders would be sore the next day from all the schlepping (there's that Yiddish). The youngest niece showed up for a while to help and other friends of the family, and the other nieces, drifted in and out. I knew they were all working elsewhere, preparing food and making other arrangements.

We finally got back to the house and there was chicken schnitzel ready for us. It was a bit late, but it was enough for lunch.

I was asked to drive to Yehuda's new place to drop something off (candles) and pick something up (Shabbos kettle--to keep water hot all weekend). I took Oshra so I wouldn't get lost.

When we got there, the place was still in a bit of chaos due the couple just having moved in. What struck me was the mess of the kitchen table--crumbs, trash, an overflowing ashtray (my nephew smokes) and an half-eaten can of tuna. I wanted to laugh. They are so 20. But they are married! Avital, the new wife, was in the bed with the covers pulled up to her neck. That didn't stop her from chatting with Oshra and Yehuda in Hebrew. I waited for them to finish and took the opportunity to look around the kitchen, which is not quite finished--some cupboards still need to be hung. It's a small place, but nice enough. Fine for two people.

I rousted Oshra and we headed back to the house. Everyone took a shower and even I got a turn. Their bathroom is a little wet too, but there is a tub (no shower curtain) and a handheld shower thing, so it was possible to contain the wetness.

As soon as we were all cleaned up, friends started arriving, then Dad and Susan and we walked over to the makeshift dining hall.

Unlike all the other nights, the men and women were seated together. Each ten-person table held a family (more or less). Yehuda and Avital sat at the same table, with some of her family members. This was the first time we'd seen her family since the wedding on Sunday.

I was sitting next to my brother most of the time and I asked him about the mixed seating, "Why is there mixed seating tonight? Why is this night different from all other nights?"

B2 chuckled and said, "Mostly because Avital said she wouldn't come if she couldn't sit with Yehuda."

"Really?"

"Well, basically, that's why."

I have to say, it made me like her even more.

The dinner went on and on. There were the usual endless number of courses. And the singing (men mostly) and the praying and the speeches (mostly in Hebrew, but with more translation this time).

The meal wrapped up around 11:30 pm and the clean up commenced. Dad left first. Susan tried to get me to leave with her, "It looks like there's already too many people here. How long are you going to stay?" I just shrugged my shoulders (grumpy!) and stuck around. I'm not sure why I stayed--I just wanted to fully participate, even though I couldn't be much help. As people drifted away, I pitched in more. When it was just Tikvah and my nieces, Tikvah decided it was time to head home.

Back at the house everyone got ready for bed, my brother sat up and studied and I sat in the kitchen and had a long talk with Adina. This was the most satisfying conversation I had with any of the kids during the visit, so I'm glad I stayed late to clean.

I didn't get to sleep until after 1am, leaving me tired for the rest of the weekend. What can you do?

2 Comments:

Blogger LaMa said...

The Anthropology of floor mopping!

Quite the same way as water-resistant floors are mopped here in my country by the way.

2:33 AM, April 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murphy's oil soap applied with a mop gets them clean. I don't do it either, but the professionals swear by it.

~M

2:01 PM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home